Monday, January 25, 2010

The Longest Trip Home

by John Grogan

The Longest Trip Home is a memoir written by John Grogan, the author of Marley & Me. I haven't read or seen Marley & Me, but after reading Grogan's memoir, I want to. I actually heard bits and pieces of The Longest Trip Home when it was on Radio Reader; I enjoyed reading the book much more than I did listening to it. No surprise there, though. I'm not a huge fan of Radio Reader or audio books.

The Longest Trip Home tells about Grogan's childhood growing up in a fervently Catholic family in the 1960s, his drifting away from the church, the distance he felt from his parents when he married a non-Catholic, and (as the title suggests), their eventual reconciliation. The book is laugh-out-loud funny but poignant (I got teary-eyed at the end.) It's a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment