Friday, January 29, 2010

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

by Sherman Alexie

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is another book I'm rereading for school. I read it at the beginning of the school year and fell in love with it. In fact, this book is the reason I decided to expand my literature circles project. As soon as I read it, I knew I had to teach it somehow. But I also knew it wouldn't appeal to everyone, so literature circles are the answer. The book is told by Arnold (Junior) Spirit who decides (after he is given the same math book his mother used) to go to school at a white school 20 miles away instead of on the reservation. Here's what I love about the book.

  • It is absolutely hilarious. Laugh out loud while you're reading silently in class so that all your kids stare at you hilarious.
  • It's illustrated.
  • It is completely irreverent. (And occasionally inappropriate.) Arnold makes fun of himself, his friends, his family, Indians, white folk, everyone.
  • It provides great commentary on race relations.
  • It's heart-warming (in an irreverent way).
  • It doesn't take itself too seriously.
So go read this book. You can borrow my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment