Thursday, January 14, 2010

All Things at Once

by Mika Brzezinski

I'm a big fan of Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC's Morning Joe, so I ordered her biography All Things at Once as soon as it was released. It was a quick read, and I learned quite a bit about the politics of network news.

I'd have to give this book a mixed review. Some sections were pretty strong while others didn't hold my interest as well. I felt like the kind of snarky voice Mika sometimes has on Morning Joe was missing from the book. Maybe I've been corrupted by the spunkiness of the young adult lit and blogs I read, but the writing felt kind of flat and impersonal. She was incredibly honest and up front about her career (even the painful and embarrassing moments), but the writing about her personal life seemed a little distant.

I am a stickler for organization, and this book was a little disappointing on that end. A few anecdotes seemed out of place; she skipped around in the chronology of events in a way that I felt was unnecessary and awkward. It seemed as if the book was maybe thrown together a little too quickly. It was a good read, and it was interesting, but I expected something with more pizazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment